Safe Travel Tips When Using the People Mover January 14, 2019 12:22
Transit Safety Awareness for the Public
Boarding and getting off trains:
- Stand behind the yellow line – the “bumpy” tactile edge – until the train comes to a complete stop.
- Do not force the doors open or attempt to board when the train is leaving the platform. Allow other passengers to step off the train before you board.
- Once you're on board, take a seat or steady yourself by holding a grab rail if you are standing. Always watch your step when getting off the train.
Contact in Case of Emergency
- If assistance is needed at any of the stations, look for the blue light – this is the location of the emergency phone. Push and release the red button, wait for Control Center response and speak clearly.
- If you are on a train, the Control Center can be contacted by using the two emergency assistance phones located on the train near the doors. Push and release the red button, wait for Control Center response and speak clearly. If you see something suspicious or out of place call the Control Center by using the emergency phone or dial 313-963-0171.
Escalator Safety Tips
- When on escalators, please take extra care with children. If possible, hold children when riding escalator. When possible, use the elevator with small children, strollers, pushchairs, wheelchairs and buggies. - Please use caution when stepping on and off the escalator, especially when you are carrying luggage. Always hold onto the handrail.
- Always be alert and aware of your surroundings and the people around you. When waiting for a train, stay in a central location that is occupied by other patrons (it's true that there is safety in numbers). Refrain from listening to music or wearing headphones while riding the transit system. (IPods, cell phones and portable radios will distract you and could make you a potential target). Avoid talking to strangers, especially in isolated areas.